Thursday, March 15, 2007

In the Rose Garden


It occurred to me today while swinging in the swing with my three year old grandson that my life is like the rose garden.

It was a beautiful, clear, blue sky 80 degree day and we were singing nursery rhymes. God's word says "the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose. It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice even with joy and singing." Isaiah 35:2 So, we were singing nursery rhymes but my heart was singing with the beauty of the changing of the seasons from winter to spring, from the dry brown grass and dead flower beds to the signs of green grass and budding flowers.

The sweet fragrance of the honeysuckle, the wild violets and wild periwinkles, the blooming pinks, and the budding lillies made me joyful. Then I noticed...the weeds. There were more weeds than blossoms. I realized that as I was emerging from my long winter's nap, I had also accumulated quite a few bad habits myself. Snacking all day, lack of exercise, long naps, lethargy, and "I don't wanta's" could choke out the beauty of the blossoming desert.

But just as the flowers see the glory of the Lord and the excellency of our God, I, too, will keep my eyes fixed on the One who promises that the desert would blossom like a rose, that feeble hands, knees and hearts would be strengthened, and the sick would be healed. Isaiah 35 NIV

So as I pull weeds in the flower garden, I will also pull them from my soul giving thanks to Him who gives us Hope to become all we are meant to be.

No comments: